This Single Subject Content Area page outlines the process for a Commission-approved Single Subject educator preparation program seeking to add a new Single Subject content area to its program offerings.
Institutions that have already been approved to offer one or more Single Subject credential programs may apply to offer a new single subject content area by submitting a course matrix and short narrative (3 pages maximum) that describes how the institution will prepare their candidates to meet the Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs) and specific pedagogical competencies for the new content area.
While existing coursework used within other single subject content areas may also be incorporated into the new content area program, programs must ensure that candidates in the new content area program receive specific pedagogical instruction related to the new content area. A “generic” pedagogy course for candidates in all content areas is not acceptable for this purpose. In the proposal, programs should clarify which coursework is new and which coursework is already in place for other approved single subject content areas. More details on the approval process are described below.
The program must submit its application request to Commission staff for review and approval a minimum of 3 months prior to offering the new content area program to candidates.
Steps to follow when submitting a new Single Subject content area proposal:
an email to MultipleSingle@ctc.ca.gov indicating the following:
- Name of Institution
- Name/email/phone for primary contact.
- New Content Area(s)
- Proposed Date for New Content Area(s) offering.
- Schedule an appointment with CTC staff to discuss the submission - indicate 3 different dates and times that you are available to meet in the three weeks following this email. CTC staff will get in touch to schedule the appointment.
a Narrative (3 pages maximum) covering the following topics:
- Course of Study and Course Sequence for the program
- Description of how the new content area will be covered in the program
- Key Assessments (if other than those indicated in the matrix)
- Faculty Vitae (for courses specific to this
a completed Course Matrix for the new content area you are seeking:
If you have any questions, please contact the Commission at MultipleSingle@ctc.ca.gov.