Teacher Librarian Services Credential and Special Class Authorization (SCA) in Digital Literacy and Information Theory
- From the California Department of Education - Examples of Model School Library Standards for California Public Schools Supporting Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
Teacher Librarian Services Credential Program Standards
In June 2011, the Commission adopted the revised Teacher Librarian Services Credential program standards and approved a new Special Class Authorization (SCA) in Digital Literacy and Information Theory. Currently, there are 4 Teacher Librarian Services Credential programs in California. Each program must determine when it will transition to the revised standards and whether or not it will offer the Special Class Authorization (SCA).
The following documents will assist programs in this process:
- Preconditions and Program Standards for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential and Special Class Authorization (SCA) in Information and Digital Literacy [PDF] -- Posted October 31, 2011
- REVISED: Teacher Librarian Transition Timeline [PDF]
This document provides guidance for each accreditation cohort. It has been revised to reflect changes made to the accreditation time schedule because of CTC's decision to postpone site visits in 2012-13. This revised schedule will not, typically, change program assessment dates for current transitioning programs. Programs must determine when they plan to transition and the timeline shows when a complete program document will be due to the CTC. -- Posted November 6, 2012
- Teacher Librarian Transition Date Form [PDF]
Each program must fill out and return this document to CTC by November 15, 2011, to let us know when it has decided to transition and if it intends to offer the Special Class Authorization. -- Posted October 31, 2011
- Teacher Librarian Transition Plan Form [PDF]
Each program must fill out and return this document when a transition date has been decided upon and these 2 questions are answered: Please describe the process your program engaged in to address the revised standards. Describe the changes that your program will be making to your courses and field experiences to address the revised standards. Please also provide your timeline for implementing your newly revised courses and field experiences. -- Posted October 31, 2011
- Teacher Librarian Program Narrative Template [MS Word]
This document provides assistance in writing your program document. The standards have been segmented in a table with a column for your response and links to documentation. Using this template is voluntary. -- Posted April 10, 2012
- Teacher Librarian Matrix Crosswalk [MS Word]
This document is a crosswalk between the old standards and the new standards. It contains suggestions for how to use the table. -- Posted October 31, 2011
- Teacher Librarian Matrix for Courses [MS Word]
This document is a table that institutions can use to prepare for transitioning. It assists programs in determining which parts of the revised standards are covered in current courses and which may need to be added to the revised program. It is sortable with directions included. -- Posted October 31, 2011
Background for the Work of the Teacher Librarian Advisory Panel
The Teacher Librarian Services Credential Program Standards Advisory Panel was convened September 2010 and was charged to review and, if necessary, update the 1991 Library Media Teacher Program Standards [PDF] to ensure consistency with the following documents:
- Model School Library Standards for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
Adopted by the California State Board of Education on September 16, 2010.
- American Library Association/American Association of School Librarians (ALA/ AASL Standards for Initial Preparation of School Librarians (2010) National Board TL Standards [External link: no longer valid]
Approved by Specialty Areas Studies Board (SASB) of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), October 24, 2010
- AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner [PDF]
Standards for the 21st-Century Learner offer vision for teaching and learning to both guide and beckon our profession as education leaders. They will both shape the library program and serve as a tool for school librarians to use to shape the learning of students in the school.
- Library Media Standards, 2nd edition
Adopted by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Board of Directors, April 2010.
- Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts
Adopted by the State Board of Education on August 2, 2010. The Common Core State Standards were developed through a state-led effort to establish consistent and clear education standards for English Language Arts and mathematics that would better prepare students for success in the competitive global economy. The initiative was launched by and supported by the Council of State School Officers and the National Governors Association. Forty eight states, including California, participated in the Common Core State Standards Initiative. California is also participating in a multi-state consortium to develop assessments aligned to the Common Core standards.
- Teacher Librarian Services Credential Data [PDF (p. 7) ]
A Commission-generated data report.
Charge of the Teacher Librarian Services Credential Advisory Panel [PDF]
Teacher Librarian Services Credential Advisory Panel Members [PDF]
Teacher Librarian Panel Meeting Agenda
- June 1-2, 2011 Meeting [PDF]
- January 27-28, 2011 Meeting [PDF]
- September 8-9, 2010 Meeting [PDF]
- November 4-5, 2010 Meeting [PDF]
Commission on Teacher Credentialing Agenda Items
- On November 3, 2011, an information agenda item [PDF] was presented to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing regarding the proposed amendment and additions to Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations pertaining to the Teacher Librarian Services Credential and Special Class Authorization. -- Posted October 31, 2011
- On October 5, 2011, an action agenda item [PDF] was presented to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing regarding the adoption of proposed Program Standards for a Special Class Authorization (SCA) in Information and Digital Literacy for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential. The Commission approved the SCA standards and authorization. Information about the submission process for adding this authorization to current programs and how to recommend candidates for this authorization based on previously-acquired experience or course units will be provided soon. -- Posted October 31, 2011
- On June 2, 2011, the Commission on Teacher Credentialing adopted the revised standards for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential Program Standards. In addition, a discussion was held on program standards for a Special Class Authorization so Teacher Librarians could be authorized to provide departmentalized instruction in information theory and digital literacy, including courses in digital citizenship in K-12 schools to promote the ethical, legal and safe use of information and technology.The adopted standards can be found in the agenda item. The standards for the Special Class Authorization will be brought back to the Commission for adoption at its August meeting. Frequently asked questions and transition information will be forthcoming. -- Posted June 13, 2011