The Preliminary Multiple Subject (MS) and Single Subject (SS) page provides resources for all Commission-approved Preliminary MS and SS Credential Programs. For weekly updates on accreditation-related topics and activities, please subscribe to the PSD E-news.
Commission Resources for MS/SS Programs
- Clinical Practice Guidance - Clinical Practice Guidance (September 2017) – Guidance on certain areas of Common Standard 3 and MS/SS Program Standards related to fieldwork and clinical practice requirements.
- Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA) Information - TPA Webpage – Information on the approved TPA models and how to transition to the new models.
- Master Teacher Survey Now Open - The Commission on Teacher Credentialing is seeking feedback from individuals who have served as a master teacher or cooperating teacher and hosted a student teacher for that individual's culminating student teacher experience. The survey is designed to be completed by master teachers who have hosted a student teacher during the previous academic year. This survey was administered last year and almost 2,000 cooperating teachers completed the survey. The response rate for programs ranged from 0% to 84%. It is essential that programs share the link with all teachers who had student teachers in their classroom for their final student teaching. Remember that having a sufficient response rate means that a program may not need to bring in as many cooperating teachers for interviews during an accreditation site visit. For more information and access to the survey, please see the Master Teacher Survey Letter [PDF].
- Commission Agenda Items relevant to MS/SS
Additional Resources for MS/SS Programs
The resources in this section are provided as assistance to the field and are not a comprehensive list of resources nor does the Commission endorse any particular resource.
- CalTPA Think Tank Dates for 2018/19
These virtual discussions provide the opportunity for preparation program faculty/staff and master, mentor, or supervising TK-12 teachers and administrators to discuss and share best practices in supporting teacher and leader candidates as they engage in these performance assessments.
- Guidance for Concurrent Bilingual Candidates Completing the California Teaching Performance Assessment (CalTPA)
This document provides clarification regarding concurrent bilingual candidates and offers guidance to support programs and candidates as they engage with the CalTPA.
- Webinar: Integrated Technology in the Classroom
This 45 minute webinar focuses on how Multiple and Single Subject teaching candidates can successfully use technology to engage K-12 students in learning. The webinar is presented by Jane Foltz from CalState TEACH. Jane is an expert in integrating instructional technology concepts across all grade levels.
- Webinar with John Pascarella, Ph.D., from USC on Redesigning Teacher Preparation Programs Using an Integrative Approach to cover the Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs)
On March 7, 2019 Commission staff hosted a live webinar presentation and question and answer session with University of Southern California Professor John Pascarella, Ph.D. The focus of the webinar was on redesigning teacher preparation programs with an integrative approach, rather than a siloed approach, to the curriculum that addresses the latest Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs).
- Option for District Employed Supervisor Training
This set of course modules was created by the California Council on Teacher Education (CCTE) as one choice that programs may opt to select to address a portion of the new 10 hour district employed supervisor training requirement. The modules are a total of 8 hours long and, if selected, they will need to be combined with 2 hours of program specific training to complete the 10 hour requirement.
Note: After an institution joins, CCTE will send the coordinator and/or Dean an invitation to the modules for their review. When the institution wants to invite participants, it sends a spreadsheet with names and emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Culturally Response Teaching (CRT) Resources
- An article exploring how schools and teachers can better understand how students interpret the goals of SEL programs implemented in their schools-"Unintended lessons of SEL programs" (Soutter, Phi Delta Kappan Journal, 2019)
- Webinar on how educator preparation programs can integrate the SEL/CRT foci in the new Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs): January 2018 Webinar. Source: Children Now, the Center for Reaching and Teaching the Whole Child, and CTC Staff (2018)
- Restorative Justice/School Discipline: Educator Toolkit. Source: FixSchoolDiscipline.org – a project of Public Counsel (2017)
- Culturally Responsive Teaching: A Guide to Evidence-Based Practices for Teaching All Students Equitably. Source: Education Northwest (2016)
Foundational Commission Resources for MS/SS Programs
- Accreditation Schedule and Activities
- Common Standards
- Program Standards and Teaching Performance Expectations
- General and Program Preconditions
- Teaching Credentials Requirements
- Adding a New Single Subject Content Area
Other Related Program Pages