- Adopted Standards for Education Specialist and Other Related Services Credential Programs [PDF]
The adopted Standards and Preconditions for the preliminary teaching credentials, added authorizations, clear teaching credential, and Other Related Services credential programs are provided in this document.
June 15, 2017
- Education Specialist Out-of-State Credentials and Clearing Level I Education Specialist Credentials [PDF]
This program sponsor alert clarifies the process for special education teachers with out-of-state credentials and the process to earn a clear teaching credential.
January 6, 2017
- Clear Education Specialist Induction Programs-Level I Candidates [PDF]
This document provides the language of the Level II standards which specify the content that each Level I candidate completing a Commission approved Induction program must address.
July 31, 2012
- Beginning July 20, 2011, Title 5 Regulations pertaining to the following Special Education Added Authorizations were approved and became effective:
Adaptive Physical Education
Early Childhood Special Education
Specialty Specific Standards were previously approved for these teaching authorizations. Program sponsors have until September 30, 2012 to transition to the new program Standards.
Updated August 29, 2011
- Transition Dates Pursuant to Title 5 Regulations September 30, 2011 -- Programs must transition from the Level I Education Specialist Program Standards to the new Preliminary Program Standards
December 31, 2011 -- Last date to enroll candidates in a Level I Education Specialist Program
January 31, 2013 -- The date Level I Education Specialist candidates must complete their Level I program
Updated August 29, 2011
- Important Dates for Level II Programs Program sponsors offering the Level II Education Specialist Programs should be aware of the following dates that are included in Title 5 Regulations:
December 31, 2014 - Last date to enroll candidates into the Level II Education Specialist Program
January 31, 2019 - The date candidates must finish the Level II program
August 29, 2011
- Subject Matter Competence for the Education Specialist Credential [PDF]
This chart clarifies the options for an individual to demonstrate subject matter competence for the Education Specialist Credential. The information provided in the Standards Document originally was confusing and has been updated. Please use this chart when determining if an individual has met the subject matter requirement.
Posted September 28, 2010
- Comparability of Coursework for Sponsors of Special Education Teacher Preparation ProgramsIn response to AB 2226 (Chap. 233, Stats. 2008), the Commission convened a workgroup for the purpose of providing guidance to programs in determining the comparability of coursework and/or field experience completed in other Commission-accredited programs to requirements of special education programs.
March 2, 2010
- Intent to Submit a Program Proposal [PDF]
When an institution elects to offer a new, or updated, credential program a program proposal must be submitted to the Commission. This 'intent' form notifies the Commission of the intent to submit the new program for review and approval. The form is due a minimum of 60 days before the program proposal will be sent to the CTC.
October 28, 2009
Updated June 21, 2017