Educator Preparation Program Approval Process (can take 6-12 months to complete)
A new educator preparation program seeking Initial Program Approval is reviewed by qualified volunteers
, who have participated in activities to ensure a calibrated understanding of the program standards. If the reviewers have questions or need additional information, staff will contact the program sponsor for more information.
Once the review process is complete the Committee on Accreditation (COA) must give final approval at a regularly scheduled public meeting before the program may begin operation.
Initial Program Approval is accomplished by submitting program documentation for the Initial Program Review (IPR) process. The program documentation must describe how the institution will meet the appropriate program standards and provide the necessary evidence (such as course syllabi, handbooks, evaluation forms, etc.) to support the narrative description. Steps to follow when submitting a program proposal
- Intent to Submit and Institutional Verification form- An Intent to Submit and Institutional Verification form must be received prior to when the institution expects to submit its proposal for initial program review.
- Review the IPR Submission and Formatting Guidelines prior to document preparation.
- Document preparation and submission - Submit 1 electronic copy of the formal proposal.
The documents that must be submitted include:
- Transmittal Check List/Cover Sheet
- Initial Program Common Standards Response - During Initial Program Review, institutions are required to submit an Initial Program Common Standards response demonstrating how the proposed program will integrate into the existing education unit.
- Program Standards - The program documentation must describe how the institution will meet the appropriate program standards and provide the necessary evidence (such as course syllabi, handbooks, evaluation forms) to support the narrative description. All Educator Preparation Program standards can be found on the Commission's standards web page.
- Submit payment of Cost Recovery fees. Any questions about the Cost Recovery plan should be sent to the Accrediation Fess at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact the Commission at IPR@ctc.ca.gov
Review and Approval Process
After the program proposal is received the Preconditions will be reviewed by Commission staff and qualified volunteer
readers will review the Common and Program Standards.
Because the review process depends entirely on the participation of experts from the field, the review process can be quite lengthy, especially for lower incidence programs. The Commission asks that each institution identify one faculty member for each submission to participate in an IPR session to keep the review process moving as quickly as possible. It is highly recommended that institutions volunteer to read a document prior
to submission of their own proposal in order to gain the most in-depth understanding of the entire IPR process.
Once the review process is completed formal action must be taken by the Committee on Accreditation Agenda at their next scheduled meeting. Please note the COA Meeting Schedule here
All correspondence and document submission must be emailed to the IPR@ctc.ca.gov
email. To ensure that documents and questions are received, please use the above email instead of individual staff email accounts. Questions related to specific programs will be routed to the appropriate staff.