- Email: TeacherResGrants@ctc.ca.gov
- The California state budget signed by the Governor in July 2021 includes a total of $350 million in funding for competitive grants to support a collaborative partnership between an eligible Local Education Agency (LEA) or a consortium of LEAs partnering with one or more Commission-approved teacher preparation programs offered by a regionally accredited institution of higher education (IHE) to expand, strengthen, improve access to, or create teacher residency programs. The funding may be used to establish new teacher residency programs that support either of the following: (a) designated shortage fields including special education, bilingual education, computer science, science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), transitional kindergarten (TK), or kindergarten and/or (b) local efforts to recruit, develop support systems for, provide outreach and communication strategies to, and retain a diverse teacher workforce that reflects a local education agency community’s diversity.
- Authorizing Legislation
- Overview of Section 45 of AB 130 Education Omnibus Trailer Budget Bill - Teacher Residency Grant Program
AB 130 Education Omnibus Trailer Budget Bill (Section 45) appropriated $350 million over the next five years to create or expand Teacher Residency Programs.
- Teacher Residency Data Dashboard
WestEd serves as the external evaluator for Teacher Residency Grant Program. This dashboard is a tool to understand the preparation and retention of diverse teachers in shortage fields funded through the Teacher Residency Grant program, by showing patterns of enrollment, program completion, and hiring.
Teacher Residency Capacity Grant Program
- The Commission is not currently accepting applications for the Teacher Residency Capacity Grant Program.
- Questions and Answers for the 2021 Teacher Residency Capacity Grant Request for Applications
- Funding Announcements for the 2021 Teacher Residency Capacity Grant Program
Teacher Residency Implementation & Expansion Grant Programs
- Request for Applications (RFA) – Teacher Residency Implementation and Expansion Grant
- The California state budget signed in July 2021 authorized $350 million for Teacher Residency Capacity, Expansion, and Implementation Grant awards. Commission staff have combined the implementation and expansion grant competitions into one RFA and provided two application windows to eligible LEAs. The Teacher Residency Implementation and Expansion RFA is now available to provide grant awards up to $40,000 per resident for new or expanding residency programs. Applications are due to the Commission by 5:00 pm on January, 19, 2024 or March 8, 2024.
Resources have been contributed by organizations with experience operating teacher residency programs and/or analyzing their effectiveness and utility. These resources are for information only and have been provided to help guide new or existing teacher residency programs applying for the Teacher Residency Grant Program. Prospective applicants should determine what resources are most appropriate for their local context.
WestEd Teacher Residency Project Page
WestEd and the Commission have partnered to evaluate CA Teacher Residency programs. Their Formative Evaluation and Year 1 Finding can be found on this page.
CDE Foundation’s CA Teacher Residency Lab Page
The California Teacher Residency Lab partners with the Commission to provide technical assistance and support to grant funded residency programs. Information on their focus areas, impact, and upcoming events can be found on this page.
Learning Policy Institute (LPI) Fact Sheets
Research-based guidance to support LEAs as they develop plans for the federal COVID-19 recovery (ESSER) funds.
Sustainable Strategies for Funding Teacher Residencies
Learning Policy Institute (LPI) and Bank Street share lessons from California regarding sustaining Teacher Residencies
Commission Agenda Items
Update to the Residency Grant Programs
Agenda Item 2F - December 2023
This agenda item provides an update on the fourth year of the Teacher Residency Grant Program authorized by 2018 legislation and presents the final report that was submitted to the State Legislature on December 1, 2023, as required by statute (Education Code §44415). The report to the Legislature includes summary information for all four years of the 2018 Teacher Residency Grant Program project period.
Agenda Item 5D - April 2023
This agenda item presents a follow-up to the February 2023 update on the Teacher Residency Grant Program funded by 2018, 2021, and 2022 legislation and on the Statewide Residency Technical Assistance Center and School Counselor Residency Programs authorized by 2022 legislation. Commission staff and the project team from WestEd will be present to review key findings and to answer questions about the data presented in the February 2023 agenda item.
Agenda Item 4B - February 2023
This agenda item presents an update on the Teacher Residency Grant Program funded by 2018, 2021, and 2022 legislation, and on the Statewide Residency Technical Assistance Center and School Counselor Residency Programs authorized by 2022 legislation. WestEd is conducting an evaluation of the Teacher Residency programs authorized by the 2018 state budget and will provide an overview of their findings to date.
Update to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing
Agenda Item 3G - February 2022
The Educator Preparation Committee presented item 3G at the February 2022 Commission Meeting. This agenda item presents an update on and timelines for the release of Request for Applications (RFAs) for the four 2021-22 state-funded grant programs: 1) Teacher Residency Programs (Capacity, Expansion, and Implementation), 2) Classified School Employee Teacher Credentialing Grant Program, 3) Computer Science Supplementary Authorization Incentive Grant, and 4) Dyslexia Grants to Teacher Preparation Programs.
Agenda Item 3F – February 2022
The Educator Preparation Committee presented item 3F at the February 2022 Commission meeting. This agenda item presents an update on the Teacher Residency Grant Programs including findings from of the evaluation conducted by WestEd
Agenda Item 2D – December 2020
The Education Preparation Committee presented Item 2D at the December 3, 2020 Commission meeting. This agenda item presents an update on Year One of the Teacher Residency Grant Programs. WestEd is conducting an evaluation of the Teacher Residency programs and an update on their evaluation to date has been included in this item.
Update on State-Funded Grant Programs
Agenda Item 4E – April 2019
The Educator Preparation Committee presented item 4E at the April 2019 Commission meeting. This agenda item presents an update on two state-funded grants administered by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing: The Local Solutions to the Shortage of Special Education Teachers Grant Program and the Teacher Residency Grant Programs – Capacity, Expansion, and Residency.
Update on State-Funded Grant Programs
Agenda Item 3B – November 2018
The Educator Preparation Committee presented item 3B at the November 2018 Commission meeting. This agenda item presents an update on five state-funded grant programs: The California Classified School Employee Teacher Credentialing Program; The Integrated Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program; The California Center on Teaching Careers; The Teacher Residency Grant Programs (Capacity, Expansion, and Residency); and the Local Solutions to the Shortage of Special Education Teachers Grant Program
Information for 2018 Funded Residency Grantees
Authorizing Legislation for the 2018 Teacher Residency Grant Programs
December 2018 Announcement of Grant Awards-Teacher Residency Expansion