The best way to have your questions answered by the Certification Unit is through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We do our best to respond to emails within two business days of receipt.
Questions from educators and employing agencies regarding credentialing requirements, policies, and application procedures.
Credential FAQs: General Questions
Phone: (916) 322-4974, Option 1 - (M-F 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM)
Certificated Assignment Questions
Questions concerning authorization of California credential documents and appropriate assignment of certificated personnel.
Educators and School Site Administrators with questions concerning the appropriate certification to be authorized/assigned to teach a class or be hired for a position must contact the Employing School District.
District Credential Analysts, Technicians, or Public School Employers inquiring about appropriate assignment options must contact the County Office of Education that serves as their monitoring authority.
County Offices of Educations must email the Assignment Unit through the dedicated County Office email address. If you have not received the dedicated County Office email address then please send an email to email@example.com that includes your name, county office affiliation, and position. Please include “COE Assignment Email Address Request” in the subject line.
Note that the Commission does not have purview over the following areas and will not respond to questions regarding:
- Requirements for Education Code local assignment options
- ESSA qualification/compliance
- Contracting of special education teachers through outside agencies
- Substitute teacher duties when substituting
- Funding (except for assignment monitoring funds)
- A-G requirements
- Certification for occupational and physical therapist
- Who can participate in staff development activities
- Who may administer and score special education screening
- Determination of classified staff duties
- Determination of when to use classified or certificated staff
- Determining graduation credit
Credential Waiver Questions
Questions from employing agencies only regarding procedures and guidelines for requesting Variable Term Credential Waivers.