University Intern Teaching Credentials are issued to individuals who upon completion of the required minimum
120 hour intern preservice preparation have enrolled at a college or university in a Commission-approved intern
program. These one to two-year programs are administered by California colleges and universities in partnership
with local employing agencies and are designed to provide participants with classroom experience while they
complete course work requirements for the preliminary credential. University Intern Teaching Credentials
authorize the holder to serve, under the supervision of a Commission-approved college or university and the
holder’s employer, in the area or subject listed on the credential. University Intern Teaching Credentials are
offered in the following areas:

  • Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with English Learner Authorization
  • Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with Bilingual Authorization
  • Single Subject Teaching Credential with English Learner Authorization
  • Single Subject Teaching Credential with Bilingual Authorization
  • Education Specialist Instruction Teaching Credential with English Learner Authorization
The Commission also issues intern services credentials in Pupil Personnel Services and Administrative
Services. See the credential leaflets regarding these types of documents for further details.

Requirements for Issuance
Multiple and Single Subject Intern Credentials

Individuals must satisfy all of the following requirements for the Multiple or Single Subject Credential:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
  2. Satisfy the basic skills requirement. See Commission leaflet CL-667, entitled Basic Skills Requirement, for additional information.
  3. Verify knowledge of the subject to be taught by one of the following methods:
    1. Pass the appropriate subject matter examination(s). See Credential leaflet CL-674S for examination information for Single Subject Credentials; see Credential leaflet CL-674M for Multiple Subject Credentials.
    2. Complete a Commission-approved subject-matter preparation program.
    3. For specialized science subjects only, individuals may have taken and passed the appropriate subject matter examination(s) or obtained verification of completion of subject matter course work from the Commission as explained in Coded Correspondence 03-0010 [1] 
      Note [1]: The last administration of the examinations in the Specialized Sciences was July 11, 2015. These examinations are no longer available. Applicants will have five years from the date passed to use those examination scores toward obtaining California certification. The last date to verify subject-matter equivalency by coursework for any of the Specialized Sciences was July 11, 2015. See
      Coded Correspondence 14-09.
  4. Complete a course (two semester units or three quarter units) in the provisions and principles of the U.S. Constitution or pass an examination given by a regionally-accredited college or university.
  5. Completed application submitted through a Commission-approved program sponsor by online recommendation.

The statutory subjects available for Single Subject Intern Credential are as follows:

Biological Sciences (Specialized)
Chemistry (Specialized)
Foundational-Level General Science
Foundational-Level Mathematics
Geosciences (Specialized)
Health Science
Home Economics
Industrial and Technology
Physical Education
Physics (Specialized)
Science: Biological Sciences
Science: Chemistry
Science: Geosciences
Science: Physics
Social Science
World Language: English Language
World Languages-Languages other than
English (specify)

Education Specialist Intern Credentials

For Education Specialist Intern Credentials, individuals must satisfy items a-e above. For item c, subject matter
competence must be verified in a core academic subject area. This may be done by passing the appropriate
Commission-approved subject matter examinations or completion of a Commission-approved subject matter
program for the Multiple Subject Credential or the Single Subject Credential in one of these content areas:

  • Art
  • English
  • Elementary subject-matter
  • Foreign Language (Languages other than English)
  • Mathematics, including Foundational-Level Mathematics
  • Music
  • Science, including Foundational-Level General Science and Specialized Science
  • Social Science

Period of Validity

Intern Credentials are valid for two calendar years. Employment is restricted to a specific school agency. A onetime, one-year extension by appeal is available at the request of the Commission-approved university intern program when an educator fails to complete the program in the time allotted due to a hardship. Application for an extension requires submission of a paper application (Form 41-4) through the program sponsor. See Credential Leaflet AL-3 for details on submitting a request for extension.

For more information go to the Commission-Approved Professional Preparation Programs, or visit the Commission's website.

CL-402A  May 2021

Updated June 17, 2021