How long should it take to process my application?
Online renewals or recommendations submitted from an approved program are typically processed within 10 business days when no additional review based on background or professional fitness review is required.
Note that processing times do fluctuate throughout the year and are highest during the summer months. Applicants who need to have their application processed for employment purposes should submit their application no less than three months prior to applying for or beginning a position.
How can I monitor my application status online?
- If you are unable to login, please visit Login Help for assistance.
- Click the left or right arrows to view additional records.
To determine the status of an application, review the information under the Status and Date Paid columns. Then compare the information under the Date Paid column to the Application Status date posted on the Commission's website.
- Please view the What does my application status mean? item below for additional information.
What does my application status mean?
- An applicant has answered “yes” to one or more Professional Fitness Questions
- Record of Arrest and Prosecution (RAP) was received from the Department of Justice (DOJ) and/or Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI)
- Other notification received pertaining to an applicant’s misconduct, requiring the DPP to review and evaluate professional fitness
- Applications pending additional evaluation are not subject to the maximum processing time of 50 days, as outlined in California Code of Regulations, Title 5, 80443, and may be delayed by a DPP review, fingerprint card processing, or a Commission appeal. To expedite processing times, provide applicable court, arrest and other supporting documentation pertaining to the misconduct warranting review upon application submission. Processing of any application will proceed once review has been concluded. For more information please see. https://www.ctc.ca.gov/educator-discipline/reporting-educator-misconduct
The application has been received by the Commission and is in queue to be evaluated by a Certification Analyst. Note that an application will remain at the "Pending Evaluation" status for the majority of the time until processing is complete.
Fingerprints Pending Evaluation
The application has been reviewed by a Certification Analyst and all academic requirements have been met. Processing will be complete once the Commission receives fingerprint information needed to complete the professional fitness review. Questions regarding fingerprint status should be emailed to Fingerprints@ctc.ca.gov.
Pending Additional Evaluation
The application has been reviewed by a Certification Analyst and all academic requirements have been met. Processing will be complete once the Commission completes the professional fitness review. Questions regarding the professional fitness review process should be emailed to DPPinfo@ctc.ca.gov.
An application that is reflected as pending additional evaluation has met academic requirements and has been forwarded to the Commission’s Division of Professional Practices (DPP) for review, as a result of the following:
How long will it take DPP to process my application?
Returned for Additional Information
The application has been reviewed by a Certification Analyst and it was determined that additional information is needed in order to qualify for the document requested. A letter outlining what must be submitted has been mailed to the educator (or employing agency if the application was submitted by an employer). Note: If the letter is not received after the application status shows as "Returned for Additional Information" for more than 10 business days then you should contact the Commission via email at Credentials@ctc.ca.gov for information on how to proceed.
Why can't I see my application online?
If you cannot see your paper application online don't panic. Paper applications must go through an intake process (received, sorted, payment cashed, and data entry) before they are viewable online. If your check has been cashed, your application has been received and is going through the data entry phase. During the highest workload season, this process may take a few weeks.
- Please view the How can I monitor my application status online? item above for additional information.
It is imperative that you provide a valid email address when submitting a paper or online application. The Commission will send an email to the valid email address on file confirming the data entry process is complete and your application is viewable online.
- Please visit CTC Online - Your Educator Account for information on how to update your email address.
When a paper application is received and deemed to be incomplete by the Commission's Intake Unit, it will be returned to you with a letter stating what is missing. Your paper application will be returned to you as incomplete reasons if:
- You forgot to include the appropriate Application Fee
- You did not provide all required personal information, including your full name, Social Security/Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, date of birth, physical address, or email address
- You requested more than one credential type on your application (each credential type requires a separate application and fee)
- You did not sign your application
How can I speed up the processing of my pending application?
- The requestor's name, position, and employing agency information
- The applicant's full name and date of birth
- The justifiable reason for requesting that the application be expedited
What happens if my application is missing something?
Once your application is evaluated and it has been determined that additional information is needed in order to qualify you for the document requested, your online application status will change from Pending Evaluation to Returned for Additional Information and you will be mailed a letter outlining the required materials and the process by which you should submit those materials. You will have 60 days from the date the letter is mailed to provide the requested materials. Failure to submit the required materials within this 60 day timeframe will result in the expiration of your processing fee and will require you to re-submit a complete application packet.
Note: If the letter is not received after the application status shows as "Returned for Additional Information" for more than 10 business days then you should contact the Commission via email at Credentials@ctc.ca.gov for information on how to proceed.