The Short-Term Staff Permit (STSP) became available on July 1, 2005. Created in response to the phasing out of emergency permits, it allows an employing agency to fill an acute staffing need (see Terms and Definitions) when local recruitment efforts have been made but a fully-credentialed teacher cannot be found.

The STSP is only available at the request of an employing agency. Individuals may not apply directly to the Commission for this document. Holders of the STSP are restricted to service with the employing agency requesting the permit. An employing agency is defined as a California public school district, county office of education, nonpublic, nonsectarian school and agency as defined in Education Code sections 56365 and 56366, charter school, or statewide agency.

The STSP is available in the areas of Multiple Subject, Single Subject, and Education Specialist. Individuals who were issued four or fewer Long-Term Emergency Permits may be issued a STSP. Individuals who were issued five Long-Term Emergency Permits do not qualify for the STSP.

For an educator that held an Intern Credential, they CAN be issued a STSP in the same content area if they have never held one before and have exhausted all extension option.

Requirements for Issuance

  1. Possession of a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally-accredited college or university. 
  2. Successful completion of course work for the permit type requested, as specified below:

Single Subject:

A degree major in the subject area or at least 18 semester units, or 9 upper division semester units, of course work in the subject to be listed on the permit.[1]

For a permit in one of the science subjects, at least nine semester units must be in the specific science area. For a permit in one of the specialized science areas, all units must be completed in the area of the specialization.

For a permit in Foundational-Level General Science, an individual has two options. First is to verify a bachelor’s or higher degree in science. This includes biological science, chemistry, geoscience, physics, and science areas that fall within these broad categories such as anatomy, earth science, and oceanography. This does not include a degree in health science. Second is to verify 18 semester units (or nine upper division semester units) across the four science areas of biological science, chemistry, geosciences, and physics. A minimum of one course in each of the four areas is required.

Passage of subject matter examinations in the single subject content area sought may also be used to meet this requirement. See Commission leaflet CL-674S.

The statutory subjects available for Single Subject Short-Term Staff Permit are as follows:[1]

Note [1]: The last date to submit an application for the Short-Term Staff Permit in one of the Specialized Science
content areas was January 1, 2015.


Foundational-Level General Science
Foundational-Level Mathematics
Health Science
Home Economics
Industrial and Technology Education

Back to top

Physical Education
Science: Biological Sciences
Science: Chemistry
Science: Geosciences
Science: Physics
Social Science
World Language: English Language Development
World Languages-Languages other than English (specify)

Multiple Subject:

A degree major in liberal studies or 40 semester units including 10 semester units of course work in each of at least four of the following subject areas or at least 10 semester units of course work in each of three of the subject areas and an additional 10 semester units in a combination of two of the remaining subject areas.† Subject areas include language studies, history, literature, humanities, mathematics, the arts, science, physical education, social science, and human development.

Passage of the appropriate subject matter examinations for the Multiple Subject Credential may also be used to meet this requirement.

Education Specialist: 

Complete the requirements for the Single Subject or Multiple Subject as listed above, or verify a minimum of three years of successful full-time classroom experience, or the equivalent in part-time experience, working with special education students (experience as an aide is acceptable) or verify a minimum of nine semester units of course work in special education or in a combination of special education and general education.[1]

Note [1]: Individuals who were issued an emergency permit in the same subject area of the requested STSP will not be required to submit verification of this requirement.

Passage of all subtests required to verify subject matter competency by examination may also be used to meet this requirement.

Areas of specialization for the Education Specialist STSP include:

Mild to Moderate Support Needs
Extensive Support Needs
Visual Impairments


Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Early Childhood Special Education

For all authorizations, all course work must meet the following criteria:

  • Must be completed at a regionally-accredited college or university.
  • Must be baccalaureate degree-applicable (non-remedial).
  • Must be earned with a “C” grade or higher (“Pass” and “Credit” grades meet this requirement).
  1. The employing agency must verify all of the following on Commission form CL-859, entitled Verification of Requirements for Short-Term Staff Permit, with each request:
    • Local recruitment efforts have been conducted for the STSP being requested.
    • The employer has provided orientation to the curriculum and to techniques of instruction and classroom management to the permit holder.
    • The employer has assigned a mentor teacher to the permit holder for the term of the STSP.
    • Written justification for the STSP must be submitted to the Commission, signed by the employing agency’s Superintendent or designee. In the case of a state certified nonpublic, nonsectarian school and agency as defined in Education Code sections 56365 and 56366, the school director’s signature is required.
  2. Completed application (form 41-4), processing fees, CL-859 and if not previously submitted, a completed Live Scan receipt (form 41-LS).


The Multiple Subject STSP authorizes the holder to teach in a self-contained classroom such as the classrooms in most elementary schools. However, a teacher authorized for multiple subject instruction may be assigned to teach in any self-contained classroom (preschool, K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults). In addition, the holder of a Multiple Subject STSP may serve in a core or team teaching setting.[2]

The Single Subject STSP authorizes the holder to teach the specific subject(s) named on the credential in departmentalized classes such as those in most middle schools and high schools. However, a teacher authorized for single subject instruction may be assigned to teach any subject in his or her authorized fields at any grade level (preschool, grades K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults).[2]

The Education Specialist STSP authorizes the holder to teach in the area of specialization listed on the credential in the following settings: special day classes, special schools, home/hospital settings, correctional facilities, nonpublic, nonsectarian schools and agencies as defined in Education Code sections 56365 and 56366, and resource rooms.[2]

Note [2]: All STSPs will be issued with an English learner authorization. This authorization allows the holder to teach English language development (also known as English as a Second Language or ESL) and specially designed academic instruction delivered in English (SDAIE) in the grade level(s) provided by their Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist authorization.


Bilingual Authorizations

An English learner authorization is currently issued on all STSP documents. The bilingual authorization may be requested by the employing agency and added directly to a STSP document if target-language proficiency has been verified. Additional information may be found in Coded Correspondence 10-07.

Individuals may verify target-language proficiency by one of the following methods:

  • Pass Test II or III (depending on the specific language) of the CSET: World Languages Examinations in the target language. Passing exam scores are valid for five years from the individual test date.
  • If Test II or III of the CSET: World Languages Examination is not available, pass an assessment performed by an approved organization covering the integrated communication skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in the target language.
  • Pass an assessment covering the integrated communication skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing administered by a California college or university as a part of its Commission-approved bilingual authorization program in the target language.
  • Possess a valid, non-emergency California Single Subject or Standard Secondary Teaching  Credential with a major in the target language.
  • Possess a three-year or higher degree from a foreign institution in which all instruction was delivered in the target language. The foreign institution must be equivalent in status to a regionally-accredited institution of higher education in the United States.

Period of Validity

The STSP will expire at the end of the employing agency’s school year and cannot be issued for more than one year. The end of the school year shall be no later than July 1 unless the STSP is being used for a summer school assignment whereby the end of the school year shall be no later than September 1. The permit is not renewable and is available to an individual only once in a lifetime.

Terms And Definitions

Acute Staffing Need

When an employing agency needs to fill a classroom immediately based on an unforeseen need, including, but not limited to:

  • An individual needs additional time to complete pre-service requirements for enrollment into a Commission-approved intern program.
  • Enrollment adjustments require the addition of another teacher.
  • An individual is unable to enroll in a Commission-approved intern program due to timelines, lack of space in the program.
  • The unavailability of a third-year extension or withdrawal from an intern program.
  • The teacher of record is unable to finish the school year due to approved leave/illness.

Back to top


Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 80021

CL-858  July 2022


Updated July 01, 2024