Current Year Statistics

  • December 2007: California prepares 12% of the nation's teachers [PDF]
    According to the most recent Secretary's annual report on Teacher Quality, in 2003-04 220,777 new teachers completed their teacher preparation programs across the nation. Five states - New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Illinois together contributed nearly half the teachers produced in 2003-04. The rest of the states accounted for the remaining 50 percent of the total teachers produced. California ranked second, after New York, with 12 percent of the total teachers produced.
  • November 2007: School Nurse Services Credentials Issued [PDF]
    There are twelve approved programs that offer credentials for school nurses. Each year, about 250 school nurse credentials are issued.
  • October 2007: Mathematics and Science Credentials Issued [PDF]
    Each year, about 1,500 teaching credentials are issued in Mathematics and another 1,200 in Sciences.
  • September 2007: Designated Subjects Vocational Education (Career Technical Education) Teaching Credentials [PDF]
    More than 1,500 credentials were issued in nearly 135 different Vocational Education (Career Technical Education) subject areas in 2005-06.
  • August 2007: Increasing Number of Special Education Teachers Prepared [PDF]
    The Education Specialist Instruction credential authorizes individuals to teach students with disabilities. This credential is separated into six categories of specialization: Mild/Moderate Disabilities, Moderate/Severe Disabilities, Visual Impairments, Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing, Physical and Health Impairments, and Early Childhood Special Education. Individuals seeking the Education Specialist Instruction credential complete a special education preparation program that includes student teaching in the area of their chosen specialization.
  • July 2007: Has there been a shift in the number of individuals prepared by each of the California Higher Education Segments over the past five years? [PDF]
    In California, there are three higher education segments - California State University (CSU), University of California (UC), and Independent/private institutions - who prepare individuals to be teachers. There are three basic types of teaching credentials. A Multiple Subject credential authorizes individuals to teach a variety of subjects in a self-contained classroom (e.g., kindergarten and 1-6 grades) whereas a Single Subject credential authorizes individuals to teach in one of sixteen subject areas: Agriculture, Art, Business, English, Health Science, Home Economics, Industrial and Technology Education, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geoscience, Physics, and Social Science. The Education Specialist credential authorizes individuals to teach students with identified disabilities.
  • June 2007: How many people are considering teaching as a career? [PDF]
    In California, there are more than ninety preparation programs (offered at colleges, universities and school districts/county offices of education) that prepare individuals to be teachers. As part of the federal government's Title II data collection system, enrollment in the multiple subject (elementary), single subject (secondary), and special education preparation programs is reported to the federal government every fall. The Commission on Teacher Credentialing coordinates the federal mandate of Title II reporting for the state.
  • May 2007: Retention of teachers that have participated in BTSA Induction [PDF]
    Each year, approximately 25,000 beginning teachers participate in California's Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA) program. All newly credentialed teachers are eligible to participate in California's BTSA program. BTSA programs report on teacher retention annually. Data show that 87% of teachers that joined BTSA in 2003-04 are still teaching in their 4th year.
  • April 2007: Where did Out-Of-Country Teachers come from in 2005-06? [PDF]
    In 2005-06, more than two-fifths (42 percent) of the out-of-country teachers came from the Philippines. Philippines was followed by Canada (10 percent), India (9 percent), Mexico (5 percent) and Spain (4 percent). Together, these top five countries contributed more than two-thirds (70 percent) of the total out-of-country teachers who taught in California public schools. The rest of the 30 percent came from more than forty different countries.
Updated May 10, 2017