Out-of-state prepared educators who hold a Bachelor's or higher degree and have met the California Basic Skills Requirement may apply for certification to be a day-to-day substitute teacher. Individuals who hold a full California general or special education teaching credential are already authorized to substitute teach and therefore do not need to apply for a substitute permit unless required as a hiring condition by their employing school district.

To qualify for a substitute permit, you must submit the following:

  1. Application Form (41-4) and processing fee.
    See the application instructions to be sure the form is properly filled out.
  2. Official transcripts verifying your Bachelor's degree.
    The transcripts must be the original college issued documents, not photocopies, but they do not have to be sealed in the original envelope.
  3. Satisfaction of the California Basic Skills Requirement.
    See Credential Leaflet CL-667 for additional information, including examples of out-of-state examinations that meet this requirement.
  4. Evidence of fingerprint processing.
    See Credential Leaflet CL-271 regarding fingerprint requirements. 
Updated December 08, 2021