Supplementary Authorizations
For Single Subject, Standard Secondary, and Special Secondary[1] Teaching Credentials

Holders of Single Subject, Standard Secondary, or Special Secondary[1] Teaching Credentials may have one or more of the subjects listed below added to their credential as a supplementary authorization by verifying completion of the following requirements. Supplementary authorizations cannot be issued in any subject that falls within the statutory single subject category of an applicant’s Single Subject Teaching Credential.

Requirements for the Holders of Single Subject, Standard Secondary, and Special Secondary[1] Teaching Credentials

Applicants must satisfy one of the following requirements:

  1. Official transcripts showing the completion of either 20 semester units (or 10 upper-division semester units) of non-remedial course work in the subject, completed at a regionally accredited community college, college, or university.
    • 20 semester units are required if a combination of upper- and lower-division units are completed.
    • The “Introductory” subjects require at least one course in each of the specified areas listed—the balance of the 10 or 20 units may be in any course within the subject category.
    • A grade of "C" or higher is required in every course used to meet this requirement.

Unacceptable coursework includes:

  • coursework that is not applicable toward a bachelor’s degree or higher degree (remedial).
  • professional development or continuing education units.
  • in-service training or workshops.
  • education and education methodology coursework unless a letter is provided by the chair of the subject area department stating that the course is equivalent to one offered by that department.
  • coursework from a department other than the subject matter authorization being sought unless a letter is provided from the chair of the subject area department stating that the course is equivalent to one offered by that department.
  1. A collegiate major from a regionally-accredited college or university in a subject directly related to the subject to be listed.

Note [1]: To be a valid prerequisite credential per California Education Code, Section 44256, the Special Secondary Teaching Credential must have been issued on the basis of at least a bachelor’s degree, a student teaching requirement, and 24 semester units of course work in the subject specialty of the credential. Only Special Secondary Credentials in the subjects of Art, Business Education, Homemaking, Industrial Arts, Music, Physical Education, Speech Arts, and Vocational Agriculture meet this requirement.

Introductory Subjects

The subjects that may be listed on the credential are printed below in bold. To obtain a subject, the teacher must verify at least one course in each of the areas listed after that subject. These subjects authorize the holder to teach only the subject matter content  typically included for that subject in curriculum guidelines and textbooks for study in grades 9 and below to students in preschool, kindergarten, grades 1–12, or in classes organized primarily for adults:

Introductory Agriculture:

Animal science, plant science, and agricultural mechanics.

Introductory Art:

Drawing and painting, art history or appreciation, and crafts.

Introductory Business:

Business management, business marketing or introduction to business, computer concepts and applications, economics, business communications or business English, and accounting.

Introductory Computer Science:

Computational thinking, computing practice and programming, computers and communication devices, and impacts of computing (e.g., social, ethical, legal) – impacts of computing topics may be included within courses that cover any of the other content areas.

Introductory Dance:

Jazz dance, contemporary dance, and dance theory.

Introductory English:

Composition, literature, and grammar or language structure.

Introductory Language Other Than English (Specify):

Grammar, composition, conversation, and literature, plus oral language proficiency. Information on verifying the oral language  requirement may be found below.

Introductory Health Science:

Substance abuse (including alcohol, drug, and tobacco); family life education (including human sexuality, HIV/AIDS, and sexually transmitted diseases); nutrition; comprehensive school health systems or programs; and health education theory, behavior, or foundations.

Introductory Home Economics:

Food and nutrition, clothing, child development, and family life and parenting (Course of study must include course work in both food and nutrition, but the areas may be covered with one course; the same is true for the family life and parenting area; at least one course must include a laboratory component).

Introductory Industrial Arts:

Drafting or graphic arts, woods or metals, and electricity or electronics.

Introductory Mathematics:

College algebra, geometry, and development of the real number system or introduction to mathematics; or three courses in calculus or other mathematics courses for which intermediate algebra and geometry are prerequisites.

Introductory Music:

Vocal music, instrumental music, music history or appreciation, and music theory

Introductory Physical Education:

Team sports and games; fundamental and creative movement skills (such as gymnastics); human movement, motor development, and/or motor learning; and individual, dual, nontraditional, and global sports and games (such as aquatics, conditioning, and archery).

Introductory Science:

Biological sciences, chemistry, geosciences, and physics (The course work must include a one-year sequence of courses in at least two of the listed subject areas, and at least one course must include a laboratory component).

Introductory Social Science:

United States history, California history, world history, geography, and United States government.

Introductory Theater:

Acting, directing and stagecraft.

Specific Subjects

These subjects authorize the holder to teach the specific subject at any grade level (preschool, K–12 inclusive, and classes organized primarily for adults):

Back to top


Accounting (including Finance)
Agricultural Mechanics
Animal Science
Auto Mechanics
Biological Sciences [2]
Chemistry [2]
Child Development (Home Economics) [3]
Clothing and Textiles (Home Economics) [3]
Comparative Political Systems and
International Relations
Computer Science [4]
Consumer Education (Home Economics)
Crafts, including Jewelry and Ceramics (Art)
Economic and Consumer Education
English Composition
Family Life and Parenting (Home Economics)
Family Life Education including Drug, Alcohol
and Tobacco Use Prevention (Health
Science) [5]
Food and Nutrition (Home Economics) [3]


Forestry and Horticulture
Geosciences [2]
Graphic Arts
Industrial Crafts and Plastics
Instrumental Music
Interior Design (Home Economics)[3]
Metals (Industrial Arts)
Office Technologies including Word Processing
and Business Communications
Ornamental Horticulture
Painting and Drawing
Physics [2]
Plant Science
Plastics (Industrial Arts)
US Government and US Civics
US History and California History
Vocal Music
Woods (Industrial Arts)
World History


Note [2]: The specific subjects in science must include the components for that area as shown below. At least one course must include a laboratory component.
Biological Sciences: Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biology of Organisms, and Evolution.
Chemistry: Structure and Stability, and Chemical Reactions.
Geosciences: Astronomy, Geology, Meteorology, and Oceanography.
Physics: Energy-Mechanics, Energy-Heat, Energy-Electricity & Magnetism, Wave Motion, and Atomic & Nuclear Physics.

Note [3]: Subjects marked must include a laboratory component.

Note [4]: The specific subject Computer Science must include the following components: computer programming, data structures and algorithms, digital devices, systems and networks, software design, and impacts of computing (e.g., social, ethical, legal) – impacts of computing topics may be included within courses that cover any of the other content areas.

Note [5]: Family Life Education, including Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Use Prevention (Health Science), must include the following components: Sexually Transmitted Diseases including HIV/AIDS, Human Development and Human Sexuality, Parenting Education, Violence Prevention, and Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Use, Prevention, and Cessation.


How to Apply

Applications for adding supplementary authorization content areas to a credential may be submitted to the Commission by mail including the following items:

  1. A completed application (form 41-4).
  2. Official transcripts verifying qualifying degree major or coursework completed. You may be required to submit photocopies of the catalog course descriptions or a course syllabus if the content of any course you wish to use to qualify for a supplementary authorization is not clear from the course title.
  3. Application processing fee.

Oral Language Proficiency

Oral language proficiency in the language to be listed on the credential may be verified by one of the following:

  1. Passage of the Language and Communication subtest of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) in World Languages (Languages other than English-LOTE).
  2. Obtain a letter from the chair of the Language Department of a regionally-accredited four year college or university stating that the applicant’s oral proficiency is equivalent to that of a person with a bachelor’s degree with a major in that language.
  3. Obtain a letter from the person authorized to issue verification at a college or university that has an approved Bilingual Authorization program stating that the applicant's proficiency in the language to be listed on the credential is equivalent to the level required to complete that program.

Supplementary Authorization in Portuguese

Teachers seeking a supplementary authorization in Portuguese may also fulfill the oral language proficiency requirement by verifying passage of the Bilingual assessment administered by the following Commission approved assessor agency:
California State University, Stanislaus

1 University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
(209) 667-3638
Contact: Dr. Elmano Costa
CSU Stanislaus Center for Portuguese Studies

California State University, Stanislaus cannot determine eligibility for, or provide additional information regarding, the issuance of supplementary authorizations. Please refer to the resources below for additional information.


Additional information regarding the issuance of supplementary authorizations may be found in the Supplementary Authorization Guideline Book available on the Commission’s website. You may also contact the Commission by email at

Back to top


Title 5, California Code of Regulations 80089, 80089.1 and 80089.2

CL-603  May 2021


Updated August 18, 2023