Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees, and other relevant documents prior to applying to the Commission for a California credential, permit, or certificate. A detailed, course-by-course, foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet any credential requirement, even if the foreign course work has been accepted by a college or university in the United States. The only exception to this is for those individuals applying for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit, for which a general report is sufficient.
Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations listed on this leaflet in order to be accepted by the Commission. These organizations are private enterprises who charge a fee for their services. Individuals seeking a foreign transcript evaluation must follow the procedures outlined by the organization providing the evaluation. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting the evaluation.
Note : The bachelor’s degree requirement for California certification refers to the equivalent of a four-year (or more) college-level
program. Individuals who obtained a credential or teaching certificate in a jurisdiction outside of the United States should also
submit a photocopy of that document to the evaluating agency.
Agencies Approved By The Commission For Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Academic & Professional International Evaluations, Inc. (APIE)
P.O. Box 5787
Los Alamitos, CA 90721-5787
Telephone: (562) 594-6498
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Telephone: (310) 275-3530
- Academic & Credential Records, Evaluation & Verification Services (ACREVS)
California (Silicon Valley – San Francisco – Bay Area)
1776 Clear Lake Avenue
Milpitas, California 95035-7014
Telephone: (866) 583-4834 Toll Free or (408) 719-0015
Fax: (510) 252-0876
- American Education Research Corporation (AERC)
382 East Rowland Street
Covina, CA 91723-3154
Telephone: (626) 339-4404
Fax: (626) 339-9081
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Telephone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411
- Educational Records Evaluation Service (ERES)
2480 Hilborn Road, Suite 106
Fairfield, CA 94534
Telephone: (866) 411-3737 or (707) 759-2866
- Foreign Credential Services of America (FCSA)
1910 Justin Lane
Austin, TX 78757
Telephone: (512) 459-4565
Fax: (512) 459-4565
- Foreign Credential Services of America West, Monterey, CA (FCSA-WEST)
798 Lighthouse Ave, Suite 140
Monterey, CA 93940
Telephone: (831) 372-1466
Fax: (831) 372-1441
- Institute for International Credentials Evaluations at California State University, Fresno (IICE)
5150 North Maple Avenue, M/S JA56
At California State University, Fresno
Fresno, CA 93740-8026
NOTE: IICE closed June 30, 2014. Individuals in need of reports that were completed before this date can consult the Fresno State web page for directions.
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc. Credentials Evaluation Service (IERF)
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Telephone: (310) 258-9451
Fax: (310) 342-7086
Request a Detailed Report. On an IERF’s application, Section 2, please check the following:
- Professional Licensing/Certification.
- Professional Licensing/Certification.
- World Education Services (WES)
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
All of the listed evaluation agencies offer rush services at an additional cost. Contact the agency for more information on fees and other requirements for the evaluation.
If you are seeking a credential to teach in the public schools of California, refer to the leaflets below for specific requirements for teachers prepared outside of the United States.
- Elementary Teaching (Multiple Subject Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-871).
- Secondary Teaching (Single Subject Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-870).
- Special Education Teaching (Education Specialist Instruction Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-872).
- Day-to-Day Substitute Teaching (Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit) (Leaflet-505P).
- All Other Teaching - visit the Commission’s website.