Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees[1], and other relevant documents prior to applying to the Commission for a California credential, permit, or certificate. A detailed, course-by-course, foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet any credential requirement, even if the foreign course work has been accepted by a college or university in the United States. The only exception to this is for those individuals applying for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit, for which a general report is sufficient.

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations listed on this leaflet in order to be accepted by the Commission. These organizations are private enterprises who charge a fee for their services. Individuals seeking a foreign transcript evaluation must follow the procedures outlined by the organization providing the evaluation. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting the evaluation.

Note [1]: The bachelor’s degree requirement for California certification refers to the equivalent of a four-year (or more) college-level
program. Individuals who obtained a credential or teaching certificate in a jurisdiction outside of the United States should also
submit a photocopy of that document to the evaluating agency.

Agencies Approved By The Commission For Foreign Transcript Evaluation

  • Academic & Professional International Evaluations, Inc. (APIE)
    P.O. Box 5787
    Los Alamitos, CA 90721-5787
    Telephone: (562) 594-6498
    APIE Website

  • Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)
    P.O. Box 6908
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    Telephone: (310) 275-3530
    ACEI Website

  • Academic & Credential Records, Evaluation & Verification Services (ACREVS)
    California (Silicon Valley – San Francisco – Bay Area)
    1776 Clear Lake Avenue
    Milpitas, California 95035-7014
    Telephone: (866) 583-4834 Toll Free or (408) 719-0015
    Fax: (510) 252-0876
    ACREVS Website

  • American Education Research Corporation (AERC)
    382 East Rowland Street
    Covina, CA 91723-3154
    Telephone: (626) 339-4404
    Fax: (626) 339-9081
    AERC Website

  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
    P.O. Box 514070
    Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
    Telephone: (414) 289-3400
    Fax: (414) 289-3411
    ECE Website

  • Educational Records Evaluation Service (ERES)
    2480 Hilborn Road, Suite 106
    Fairfield, CA 94534
    Telephone: (866) 411-3737 or (707) 759-2866
    ERES Website

  • Foreign Credential Services of America (FCSA)
    1910 Justin Lane
    Austin, TX 78757
    Telephone: (512) 459-4565
    Fax: (512) 459-4565
    FCSA Website

  • Foreign Credential Services of America West, Monterey, CA (FCSA-WEST)
    798 Lighthouse Ave, Suite 140
    Monterey, CA 93940
    Telephone: (831) 372-1466
    Fax: (831) 372-1441
    FCSA-WEST Website

  • Institute for International Credentials Evaluations at California State University, Fresno (IICE)
    5150 North Maple Avenue, M/S JA56
    At California State University, Fresno
    Fresno, CA 93740-8026

    NOTE: IICE closed June 30, 2014. Individuals in need of reports that were completed before this date can consult the Fresno State web page for directions.

  • International Education Research Foundation, Inc. Credentials Evaluation Service (IERF)
    P.O. Box 3665
    Culver City, CA 90231-3665
    Telephone: (310) 258-9451
    Fax: (310) 342-7086
    IERF Website

    Request a Detailed Report. On an IERF’s application, Section 2, please check the following:
    1. Professional Licensing/Certification.
      Field: Teaching
      State: CA

  • World Education Services (WES)
    P.O. Box 5087
    Bowling Green Station
    New York, NY 10274-5087
    Telephone: (212) 966-6311
    Fax: (212) 739-6100
    WES Website

Additional Information

All of the listed evaluation agencies offer rush services at an additional cost. Contact the agency for more information on fees and other requirements for the evaluation.

If you are seeking a credential to teach in the public schools of California, refer to the leaflets below for specific requirements for teachers prepared outside of the United States.

  • Elementary Teaching (Multiple Subject Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-871).
  • Secondary Teaching (Single Subject Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-870).
  • Special Education Teaching (Education Specialist Instruction Teaching Credential) (Leaflet-872).
  • Day-to-Day Substitute Teaching (Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit) (Leaflet-505P).
  • All Other Teaching - visit the Commission’s website.

CL-635  March, 2021
Updated November 14, 2022