General Education Teacher Assignment Options

This document provides a list of options that employers can use to make sure their general education teachers are otherwise legally authorized for positions that they have not obtained a full credential authorization for.

Credentialed Educators

Educators that already hold a Single or Multiple Subject Teaching Credential have several options to obtain new subject authorizations.  

General Education Limited Assignment Permits

This permit allows educators to obtain additional subject authorizations on their document while they pursue a permanent authorization.  No subject-matter preparation is required upon initial issuance.  A General Education Multiple or Single Subject Limited Assignment Teaching Permit is valid for one year and may be reissued twice in any one specific subject. See CL-828 for document requirements.  

Introductory Subject Matter and Supplementary Authorizations

These authorizations allow the educator to teach introductory subjects to students.  Introductory subjects allow educators to teach curriculum approved for grades 9 and below, but may be offered to students up grade 12.  Educators are eligible for these authorizations if they possess a prerequisite teaching credential and have a completed a required number of college credits in the subject (20-32 semester units).  See Leaflets CL-852 for information on Subject Matter Authorizations and CL-603 and CL-629 for information on Supplementary Authorizations.

Adding a Full Subject Authorization 

The Commission also allows educators who hold full Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credentials to obtain full authorizations. Educators who hold the prerequisite credentials may add a full content area by verifying subject-matter competence and completing a three-semester-unit or four-quarter-unit course in methodology directly related to teaching in a departmentalized setting. More information is available in CL-621a.

Local Assignment Options

There are additional Education Code options available to employers that can otherwise legally authorize the assignment of an educator that does not hold the required credential authorization. Both employers and educators must meet the criteria specified in the local assignment option, which often includes governing board approval or action. These options are not available to waiver or emergency permit holders. Refer to the Common Local Assignment Options webpage for more information.

Short-Term Waivers

Short-term waivers permit local approval when there is an immediate, unanticipated short-term staffing need. They may be issued one time only for any individual, and only one time for a class.  These waivers must be issued in accordance with California Code of Regulations, Title 5, §80123(a).  The County Office of Education and the Commission must be notified of these waivers as part of the annual assignment monitoring process.  The Commission may rescind the authority of an employing agency to grant a short-term waiver upon finding that the agency has intentionally violated any provisions of sections 80120 or 80123.

Uncredentialed Educators

Individuals who have not earned a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential may also obtain emergency permits that authorize assignments in General Education Settings.

Short-Term Staff Permit (STSP)

This permit allows an employing agency to fill an acute staffing need, which requires an employer to fill a classroom immediately based on an unforeseen circumstance. The STSP is available to educators who have not completed a teacher preparation program. Additional information may be found in CL-858.  

Provisional Internship Permit (PIP)

These permits allow an employing agency to fill an immediate staffing need by hiring an individual who has not yet met the subject matter competence requirement needed to enter an intern program. Information on obtaining this document can be found in CL-856

Intern Credentials

California offers two intern credential options that allow individuals to be the teacher of record while completing an organized professional preparation program. University interns are cooperative teaching programs between a university and an employing school district that are administered by the university. District interns are administered by employing school districts whose programs may or may not involve university course work. Completion of an intern program results in the issuance of a preliminary or clear credential.

Variable Term Waivers

This document may be issued for employers who meet the waiver criteria when a fully credentialed teacher is not available for the assignment.  More information can be found in the Commission’s Waiver Requests Guidebook

Updated January 03, 2023