What does the ETK Permit authorize the holder to teach?
Does the ETK Permit authorize teaching Transitional Kindergarten in a Special Education classroom setting?
No, the ETK permit authorizes the holder to teach in a general education setting only.
The holder of an Education Specialist teaching credential can teach the first year of a two-year kindergarten program in a special education classroom setting, if all students in the class have a primary disability category and age range that aligns with the holder’s credential authorization.
When is the ETK Permit available for issuance?
Can an educator apply directly to the Commission for the ETK Permit?
What is required to qualify for an initial ETK Permit?
To qualify for an initial ETK Permit, an individual must meet all of the following requirements (refer to CL-909):
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Possession of a valid Child Development Teacher Permit or higher level
- Satisfaction of one of the following:
a) 24 semester units of coursework in the field of Child Development (CD) or Early Childhood Education (ECE)
b) Possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree in CD, ECE, or similar major
c) Beginning 7/1/2023, have three or more years of full-time teaching experience in a transitional kindergarten setting, preschool age early childhood or child development program, or a combination of these experiences
- The employing agency must have an annual Declaration of Need for Fully Qualified Educations (DON) Form CL-500 on file with the Commission
- Submission of a completed application, processing fee, and Verification of Requirements form CL-908
What is required for renewal of the ETK Permit?
The ETK Permit is renewable one time, for a total of two issuances. For a one-time renewal of the ETK permit, LEAs must complete the following:
- The employing agency must have an annual Declaration of Need (DON) Form CL-500 on file with the Commission
- Verification of Requirements for CL-908
- Verification, on form CL-908, that the applicant is currently enrolled in a Commission-approved teacher preparation program that will result in a credential authorizing teaching transitional kindergarten (currently only a teacher preparation program for Multiple Subject credential meets this requirement)
- Submission of a completed application and processing fee