Data gathered by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing will be highlighted here once a month. For more information, please contact Marjorie Suckow (email@example.com).
- December 2011 Statistic: California Paraprofessional Program participants; 2010-2011 [PDF]
The ethnic distribution of the PTTP participants indicate that nearly two-thirds (66 percent) identified themselves as belonging to non-white ethnic groups.
November 22, 2011
- November 2011 Statistic: California Teacher Candidates by Undergraduate Academic Major, 2009-2010 [PDF]
In 2009-10, there were more than 15,000 program completers who completed all program requirements.
October 31, 2011
- October 2011 Statistic: Reading Certificates and Specialist Teaching Credentials in Reading and Language Arts Issued [PDF]
In 2009-10, the Commission issued about 250 Reading Certificates and more than 200 Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credentials.
September 29, 2011
- September 2011 Statistic: Is Exam Route a popular option to fulfill subject matter requirement? [PDF]
In 2009-10, sixty-four percent of Single Subject Credential candidates used the subject matter examination option to demonstrate subject matter competency.
August 30, 2011
- August 2011 Statistic: Are more people considering teaching career? [PDF]
Higher Education Opportunity Act was reauthorized in 2008 and that requires all teacher preparation programs to report on a number of new data elements including program completers and teachers prepared for three academic years.
August 1, 2011
- July 2011 Statistic: California Teacher Candidates are more diverse than the Nation [PDF]
California teacher candidates are more diverse than the teacher candidates enrolled in the teacher preparation programs at the national level.
June 29, 2011
- June 2011 Statistic: California: One of top five teacher-producing states in the nation [PDF]
According to the annual report on teacher quality, more than 354,000 teachers received initial certification nationwide in academic year (AY) 2008-09. California ranked fourth in the traditional route and first in the alternative route (IHE based) program completers in AY 2008-09. Between the two routes, California ranked fourth in the percentage of national teacher population and produced 7 percent of nation's teachers.
June 16, 2011
- May 2011 Statistic: Trends in Math and Science Credentials Issued [PDF]
In 2009-10, the Commission issued about 1,800 credentials in Mathematics and another 1,800 credentials in Science to California-prepared and out-of-state-prepared teachers. Together these two subjects accounted for more than one-third of the total single subject credentials issued (18.6% and 18.7%, respectively).
May 2, 2011
- April 2011 Statistic: California teachers who were Trained in other Countries [PDF]
In 2009-10, about 300 initial teaching credentials were issued to teachers who were trained in other countries. Among the teachers who were trained in other countries, nearly one-third (29 percent) of the teachers came from Philippines, followed by India (10 percent), Canada (10 percent), Turkey (10 percent), and China (4 percent). Together, these top five countries accounted for nearly two-thirds of the total initial credentials issued to out-of-country teachers in 2009-10.
April 4, 2011
- March 2011 Statistic: California Teachers who were Trained in States Other than California [PDF]
In 2009-10 about 2,000 initial teaching credentials were issued to teachers prepared in states other than California. Arizona alone constituted more than one-tenth of the out-of-state trained teachers; followed by New York, Texas, and Illinois who constituted another one-fifth of the total initial teaching credentials issued to teachers who were trained in states other than California.
March 1, 2011
- February 2011 Statistic: How long do beginning teachers stay in the teaching profession? [PDF]
At the state level, nearly 75 percent of the 2005-2006 Participating Teachers (PTs) are teaching after five years and more than 85 percent of the 2009-2010 PTs are teaching in their second year.
February 1, 2011
- January 2011 Statistic: Child Development Permits Issued: 2004-05 to 2008-09 [PDF]
Each year, approximately 9,000 new Child Development Permits are issued by the Commission, and another 3,000 permits are renewed.
January 3, 2011
Updated March 16, 2017