Special Education Internship Programs
This report to the Legislature is required by Education Code Section 44329. The study examines the effectiveness of the District Intern Education Specialist (Mild/Moderate Disabilities) program after it was expanded to six programs throughout the state and provides conclusions and recommendations based on the data collected.
August 22, 2007
Other Items of Interest
- Sample Education Specialist Transition Document
This sample document could be used by Education Specialist and Other Related Services Programs to describe the transition plan for the program to the revised program standards. This site also includes the Adapted Physical Education: Added Authorization Transition Document.
Updated August 29, 2011
- Special Education Credentialing Reform Webcast -- March 13, 2009
- Study on Special Education Certification Presentation [MS PowerPoint]
At the July 16 and August 13, 2008 Special Education Forums there was a presentation "Report on the Study of Special Education Certification". This is a copy of the Powerpoint used in the presentation.
- Legislation Signed Affecting Education Specialist: Mild/ Moderate Credential Holders and Autism Spectrum Disorders [PDF]
- Changes in Credentials to Provide Services to California Students with Speech-Language Needs [MS PowerPoint]
In December 2007, the Commission submitted a Report on the Study of Special Education Certification to the CA Legislature. One of the report recommendations is the creation of a new Communication Development (CD) teaching credential. Dr. Michael McKibbin, Administrator Teacher Development at CTC made a presentation at the California Speech and Hearing Association (CSHA) Conference, April 11, 2008 about the proposed options to improve services to students with speech-language needs. This PowerPoint provides discussion points of his presentation.
- Special Ed Design Team - Calendar [MS Word]
- Special Ed Design Team Roster [MS Word]
- Report on the Study of Special Education Certification [PDF]
The Report on the Study of Special Education Certification: A Report to the Governor and Legislature as Required by SB 1209 (Chap.517, Stats, 2006) provides the mandated report (December 2007) to the Governor and Legislature on Special Education and proposes a plan for implementation of its recommendations. It includes information about the activities that have occurred since June 2006 to modify the requirements for Education Specialist credentials, including (a) implementation procedures to add an English learner authorization to the current Education Specialist Credential, (b) conducting field meetings to examine issues related to modifying the Credential, and (c) the twenty five recommendations made to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing as a result of the review of the structure and requirements for the Special Education credentials.
- Requirements for Program Completion and Guidance for BTSA Induction and Education Specialist Level II Programs ONLY [PDF]
- Official (Coded) Correspondence 06-0009 [PDF]
English Learner (EL) Authorization Added for the Education Specialist Credentials
June 15, 2006