The Commission on Teacher Credentialing established a Single Subject Teaching Credential in American Sign Language in 2004. The appropriate authorizations for a course in American Sign Language (ASL) can be found below.

What documents authorize teaching American Sign Language (ASL) in a departmentalized classroom?

General Education classroom:

The following document types with an authorization in World Languages: Languages Other than English (American Sign Language):

  • Single Subject Teaching credential
  • Single Subject Intern credential
  • Supplementary or Subject Matter Authorization (may be limited by curriculum or grade level)
  • General Education Limited Assignment Permit (GELAP)
  • Short-Term Staff Permit (STSP)
  • Provisional Internship Permit (PIP)

Adult Education classroom:

The Designated Subjects Adult Education Teaching Credential in Career Technical Education with the following authorization: Education, Child Development, and Family Services authorizes teaching American Sign Language in a Career Technical Education setting in classes organized primarily for adults.

Additional Assignment Options:

Refer to the Common Local Assignment Options webpage for information related to additional teaching assignment options.

Does the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) credential authorize teaching American Sign Language (ASL)?

No, educators that hold DHH credentials may no longer serve in American Sign Language (ASL) assignments.  Any DHH credential holder who was serving in an assignment to teach American Sign Language (ASL) to general education students prior to July 1, 2010 may continue to do so, even if they move to a new employer.  It will be up to the employing agency to verify that the individual did in fact serve in a general education classroom as an ASL teacher prior to that date.  Please see Coded Correspondence 10-14 for additional information.
Updated August 09, 2022