Teaching English Learners
Teachers of English learners (EL) must hold an appropriate document or authorization for English language development, specially designed academic instruction delivered in English, or content instruction delivered in the primary language. Such classrooms may be referred to as ESL, sheltered, or bilingual. EL Authorizations, Crosscultural Language and Academic Development (CLAD) Certificates, and Bilingual Authorizations are currently issued to individuals seeking certification authorizing instruction to English learners. For a summary of all documents that authorize instruction to EL students, click here [PDF].
Information for All Candidates
- CLAD Certificates [PDF]
- Bilingual Authorizations [PDF]
- Certificate of Completion of Staff Development [PDF]
- Serving English Learners [PDF]
- Commission-approved CTEL Programs
- Programs with Plan to Combine Coursework with Exams [PDF]
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Apply
- Renewing Your Credential
- Processing Fees [PDF]
- More Resources
California Prepared Candidates
Requirements are the same for all candidates
Out-of-State Prepared Candidates
Requirements are the same for all candidates.
- Prepared Outside of California for an English Learner Authorization? [PDF] - Coded Correspondence
Out-of-Country Prepared Candidates
Requirements are the same for all candidates, except that the course work and/or degrees posted to a foreign transcript must be evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation agency before the Commission can consider them for certification purposes.
- Prepared Outside of California for an English Learner Authorization? [PDF]
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation [PDF]
- CTEL/CSET: LOTE Examinations
- English Learner Authorizations and Assignments [PDF]
- Bilingual Teacher Training Programs [PDF]
- Title 5 California Code of Regulations Section 80015 - External Webpage...
- Education Code 44253.1 - External Webpage...