Data gathered by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing will be highlighted here once a month. For more information, please contact Marjorie Suckow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- December 2014 Statistic: Teacher Preparation Enrollment and Program Completers by County, 2012-13
In 2012-2013, about 20,000 teacher candidates enrolled in one of the eighty-nine teacher preparation programs that offer preliminary teaching (multiple subjects, single subject, and education specialist) credentials.
December 1, 2014
- November 2014 Statistic: Program Completers by Subject Matter Areas and Preparation Route, 2012-2013
In academic year 2012-2013, about 11,000 program completers completed the requirements for obtaining initial teaching credentials. About 9,500 program completers came through the Traditional route and 1,500 came through the Alternative route (University Intern or District intern programs).
November 1, 2014
- October 2014 Statistic: Program Completers by Undergraduate Academic Major and Preparation Route, 2012-2013
In 2012-2013, about 11,000 program completers finished all their teacher preparation program requirements.
October 1, 2014
- September 2014 Statistic: Examination Option is Popular Choice to Verify Subject Matter Competence
In 2012-13, approximately 8,000 initial Single Subject Teaching Credentials were issued.
September 1, 2014
- August 2014 Statistic: Gender and Ethnic Distribution of Enrolled students in Teacher Preparation Programs
In 2012-2013, about 20,000 teacher candidates were enrolled in California's teacher preparation programs to pursue their initial teaching credentials.
July 31, 2014
- July 2014 Statistic: Race/Ethnicity Distribution of Students: California vs. Nation
During the school year 2011-12, 49.5 million students were enrolled in public elementary and secondary schools, according to recently published "Condition of Education, May 2014" by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). In the same school year, California enrolled more than 6.2 million students in its K-12 public schools. This accounted for about 13 percent of the total public enrollment in the nation
June 26, 2014
- June 2014 Statistic: California Teachers: Prepared in States Other than California
In 2012-2013 more than 2,500 California teaching credentials were issued to teachers prepared in states other than California.
May 29, 2014
- May 2014 Statistic: California Teachers who were prepared in Other Countries
In 2012-13, about 250 initial teaching credentials were issued to teachers who were prepared in other countries. Another 350 teaching credentials were renewed during the same fiscal year (FY).
April 30, 2014
- April 2014 Statistic: Math and Science Teachers - where did they receive their bachelor degrees?
In 2012-13, more than 2,000 new single subject credentials in math and science were recommended by California Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs).
March 28, 2014
- March 2014 Statistic: Age Distribution of New Teaching Credential Holders, 2012-2013
In 2012-2013, about 12,000 new preliminary teaching credentials were issued by California institutions of higher education and District program sponsors.
February 28, 2014
- February 2014 Statistic: Child Development Permits Issued: 2008-09 to 2012-13
Child Development Permits are required for service in most publicly funded child development programs including all state preschool programs.
February 3, 2014
- January 2014 Statistic: Intern Credentials Issued: 2002-03 to 2012-13
In academic year 2012-13, more than 2,600 intern credentials were issued, while a decade ago, more than 7,000 credentials were issued. There has been a dramatic decrease in the number of intern credentials issued in the past several years. In spite of the decrease in the number of intern credentials, 956 out of 1100 districts and county offices currently employ teachers on intern credentials.
December 31, 2013
Updated February 23, 2017