Data gathered by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing will be highlighted here once a month. For more information, please contact Marjorie Suckow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- December 2012 Statistic: Teaching Credentials Issued to Out-of-Country Trained Teachers, 2002 to 2011 [PDF]
In 2010-11, there were more than 300 new credentials issued to individuals who were trained out-of-country. Of the total credentials issued, almost all (99 percent) were issued in teaching credentials and less than 1 percent was issued in services credentials.
November 30, 2012
- November 2012 Statistic: Program Completers by Academic Major and Preparation Route, 2010-2011 [PDF]
In 2010-2011, nearly 15,000 program completers finished all their teacher preparation program requirements. The undergraduate academic major distribution of program completers differed by routes.
October 31, 2012
- October 2012 Statistic: Teacher Candidates' Supervised Clinical Experience in 2010-11 [PDF]
US Department of Education defines Supervised Clinical Experience as "A series of supervised field experiences (including student teaching) with PK-12 students that occur as a sequenced, integral part of the preparation program prior to the candidate becoming the teacher of record." The Supervised Clinical Experience section of the Institutional and Program Report Card of the Title II collects data on (i) average number of clock hours of supervised clinical experience required prior to student teaching, (ii) average number of clock hours of supervised clinical experience required for student teaching, (iii) number of full time equivalent faculty supervising clinical experience during this academic year, (iv) number of adjunct faculty (IHE and Pre K-12 staff) supervising clinical experience during this academic year, and (v) number of students in supervised clinical experience during this academic year.
September 28, 2012
- September 2012 Statistic: Child Permits Issued: 2006-07 to 2010-11 [PDF]
Each year, approximately 9,000 Child Development Permits are issued and another 4,000 permits are renewed each year.
August 28, 2012
- August 2012 Statistic: California Teacher Candidates By Route and Subject Matter [PDF]
An analysis of teacher candidates by their teacher preparation program route for the 2010-11 year indicated that there are substantial differences in the distribution of program completers by subject matter area.
July 31, 2012
- July 2012 Statistic: Five Year Trend in Teacher Preparation Programs [PDF]
Individuals enrolled in a teacher preparation program and individuals completing the teacher preparation program have direct relationship with the number of initial teaching credentials issued each year.
July 2, 2012
- June 2012 Statistic: Teacher Preparation Enrollment by Gender, Ethnicity and Race, 2010-2011 [PDF]
In 2010-2011, nearly 35,000 teacher candidates enrolled in one of 89 approved teacher preparation programs. These teacher preparation programs offer teaching credentials in multiple subject, single subject, and education specialist credentials through two different routes: the "traditional" route and "alternative route."
May 31, 2012
- May 2012 Statistic: California Teachers who were Trained in Other Countries [PDF]
In 2010-11, more than 300 initial teaching credentials were issued to teachers who were trained in other countries. Among the teachers who were trained in other countries, nearly two-thirds (61 percent) earned their credentials in single subjects, followed by more than one-fourth (26 percent) in multiple subjects and the remaining 13 percent in special education.
April 30, 2012
- April 2012 Statistic: New Credentialed Teachers - where did they receive their bachelor degrees? [PDF]
In 2010-11, more than 15,000 new teaching credentials were recommended by the Institutions of Higher Education. More than 6,000 credentials were issued in Multiple Subjects, another 6,000 in Single Subject, and more than 3,000 in Education Specialist credentials.
March 29, 2012
- March 2012 Statistic: California Teachers who were Trained in States Other than California [PDF]
In 2010-11, about 3,000 initial California teaching credentials were issued to teachers prepared in states other than California, which is about 15 percent of the total initial teaching credentials issued.
February 29, 2012
- February 2012 Statistic: Math and Science Teachers - where did they receive their bachelor degrees? [PDF]
Nearly half of the individuals who later earned math or science teaching credentials did their undergraduate work in the California State University (CSU) system and more than one-third (35 percent) of the individuals who earned math and science credentials did their undergraduate work in the University of California (UC) system.
February 9, 2012
- January 2012 Statistic: Program Completers' Distribution by Subject Matter Areas: 2009-2010 [PDF]
Nearly half the 2009-2010 program completers indicated that they were pursuing multiple subject credentials.
January 6, 2012
Updated January 11, 2017