Prior to initiating the process for becoming a Commission-approved program sponsor, institutions must attend Accreditation 101 - Expectations and Responsibilities for Commission Approved Institutions. Each institution is required to bring a team to Accreditation 101 that includes the unit head, fiscal officer, director(s) of proposed program(s), partner employing organization or educational entity and other participants deemed necessary by the institution. The purpose of this session is to gain a full understanding of the responsibilities and expectations of a program sponsor.
Accreditation 101 sessions are held quarterly. Session dates and links to registration are provided at the bottom of this webpage. If your institution plans to register for an upcoming Accreditation 101 session, all attendees must review the Standards and Accreditation information below before attending.
Accreditation 101 Team Member Descriptions and Roles
Standards and Accreditation
- Common Standards relate to aspects of program quality that are the same for all educator preparation programs within an institution. Please review all five of the 2015 Common Standards.
- Preconditions are requirements that must be met in order for an accrediting association or licensing agency to consider accrediting a program sponsor or approving its programs or schools. Please review all ten general preconditions.
- Accreditation Handbook Chapter Three - Institutional and Program Approval.
- Initial Institutional Approval RequirementsOpen PDF in current window.
Additional Helpful Information
The information below will be helpful as you move through the Initial Institutional Approval Process. It is not required to be read prior to attending the training session, however the Commission strongly recommends reviewing it prior to submitting a program proposal.
- Accreditation Handbook - All chapters.
Keeping Up to Date
- Program Sponsor Alerts Webpage: Information for approved educator preparation institutions.
- Meetings Webpage: Agendas, video, and audio links for Commission meetings, Committee on Accreditation Meetings as well as other informational meetings.
- Subscribe to the PSD E news.
- Understanding Program Sponsor Fees: Information related to Annual Accreditation and Cost Recovery fees. There are Cost Recovery fees associated with becoming an approved program sponsor. All of the information on the webpage should be reviewed, however attention should be paid to the following:
Upcoming Accreditation 101 Sessions (held quarterly)
Commission on Teacher Credentialing
1900 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
|Wednesday, April 12, 2017||Register||Registration ends by close of business on March 28, 2017 or 45 participants, whichever occurs first.|
|Tuesday, August 15, 2017||Register (Opening soon)||Registration ends by close of business on July 18, 2017 or 45 participants, whichever occurs first.|
|Wednesday, December 13, 2017||Register (Opening soon)||Registration ends by close of business on November 15, 2017 or 45 participants, whichever occurs first.|